2011 Mission team

2011 Mission team
Karen, Randy, Jo Ann, Ev, Al, Matt, Bj, Tim
Nozomi, Katherine, Garrett, Andrew

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Matt: It's Hot

We are so busy--I've never had so much trouble finding time to blog!  Yike.

Monday: The night before, the adults (Randy, Karen, Joanne, and...well you don't have to count me but) and I stayed up past midnight preparing for VBS. 
They're in charge, they've got the power... Don't mess.
 I slept like a rock for five hours and then was awaken by a happy go lucky Joanne tapping me on the knee, asking me if I wanted to shower... We chowed down on our breakfast and rushed out to catch the train.  Walking up the infamous Nokendai hill, I saw that really old dog from three years ago.  I was sad.

Picture from 2008





As we were setting up for the day, the kids started to sprinkle in...and they were about an hour early... We started at 9:15 and played the classic duck, duck, goose, which again sounds really funny with a thick Japanese accent.  Shortly after, Katherine and I taught them "Only A God Like You," which Rachel and the junior high girl (and Brennan) band recorded for the mission.  It never ceases to amaze me how excited these kids are to sing and dance to these songs.  It's a real blessing to see.  I explained that only our God was a redeemer, restorer, rebuilder, and rewarder.  Only our God could do these things.  Then I realized that sounded borderline polytheist (oops, almost wrote polygamist but that's another can of rice) so I said...oh yeah, by the way, our god is also the only God... Just thought it was necessary to clear that up.

This year my job is to lead music, help with recreation, something else I can't remember right now, and shepherd.  Katherine and I lead the youngest group: ages 5-8...so cute, but don't be deceived...it's like if five little Aragorns were the group, really jumpy, happy, and strong.  Why did I just write that?

Randy with the bible verse balloons
The bible story was the six days of creation (and seventh day of rest).  Now, let's not get into a huge discussion of whether the earth is 6,000 years old or billions...we told the story and they got it.  Along the way, Yurimi (the interpeter) asked comprehension questions to make sure the kids were getting it.  Thankfully, they were.  Following, I did my best in broken Japanese to ask them my own questions: what did God make?  How many days did he create?  What happened on the seventh day?  Why did he create us?  (One boy said because God was lonely...I said no...)  For the most part, they got it.  And I think this is the first time they have ever heard this account of creation.  And I don't know what Buddhism teaches...

The bible verse was from Ephesians: "For we are God's handiwork..."  The verse was shortened because my kids are so young.  I again, in broken Japanese, tried to explain it.  In Japanese, "God made us.  We are his most special creation.  We are very important to God.  God loves us very much."

Post VBS games we played streets and alleys where everyone lines up in rows and they switch from horizontal to vertical when the leader shouts streets or alleys.  Well...I was the mouse first and Mrs. Pognota was the cat... Such a nice woman...when she's not playing the game.  She transformed into this ferocious and belligerent person!  It was...kinda scary!
Duck, duck, goose!


Little Kokoro

We're tie-dyeing!--well, I'm not...
--

Tuesday: Joanne once again woke me up with a tap on the knee asking if I wanted to shower...I don't know why that keeps happening every morning!  We'll see if it happens again tomorrow...I wonder if I could set some sort of trap like in Parent Trap...sorry really tired.

We were running a little late...It was 7:44...Seven minutes to get to the train station...I think we set the record.  Let's jump ahead cuz I need to get to bed.  Today's song was "God Gave" which had chorus lyrics of John 3:16.


The bible story was the fall of man...and I mean I pounded that into them because I really wanted them to get it.  I mean, it was in this story that we were defining sin for the first time; and from what I understand, sin doesn't really exist as a concept here in Japan, or at least not in the same way that it does in America.  The kids were so interactive during the story that I almost considered giving an invitation right there because I felt like they really got it!  And one of our daily prayers is that God would speak to their hearts and help them to understand.  To these kids, this may just be a fun summer camp.  To us, this is a mission to fight for the souls of people here in Japan.

I could write more but I'm losing consciousness so I will stop.  Love you all, thanks for reading.  Please keep praying!

Matt
Havin fun

1 comment:

  1. hi Matt & NBF Team,
    my last blog went out into Never, neverland...:(
    anyhow, praying God's strength & rest for all of you as you begin a new day! Praying God's Spirit fill and equip you for today! Also for the hearts of the kids & moms to be open and have understanding to God's Word. that He would bless your time together!
    Matt, i can picture Mrs. Pagnotta chasing you! lol! please tell her and the girls hi from Mr. Kelly (in India) and i!
    God bless your day!
    in Him,
    sksmom

    ReplyDelete