2011 Mission team

2011 Mission team
Karen, Randy, Jo Ann, Ev, Al, Matt, Bj, Tim
Nozomi, Katherine, Garrett, Andrew

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Prayer Letter From a Friend (Tim)

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place for this... but here's a prayer letter I received from a dear friend of mine via email. Hopefully it's an encouragement to the rest of the team:

August 8th 2011
Hello Japan Mission Team!
I hope that all is going well for the group! My name is Dayna Chun and I recently graduated from UW with a degree in psychology. I first attended Lighthouse around this time, one year ago, and remember watching the team getting commissioned during the second service. I thought, “Huh. Why Japan?” It was obvious for me to see why there were other teams going to China or Kenya, but I was curious about a mission team being sent to one of the most affluent countries in the world.
I grew up thinking that Jesus only pursues the poor and needy. (I'm sure there's a bible verse about that...) I mean, who needs some guy who died for us thousands of years ago when we've got iPhones, Facebook, McDonalds, and heartburn medicine? Well, that was the problem; I kept looking at the world through my human, physical eyes, not with God-given, spiritual lenses. Like David said at the JEMS concert a few months ago, “although Japan is not in financial poverty, it is in spiritual poverty.” So I wondered, “Who am I to say that not every one needs Jesus as much as a country in a desert does? Weren't all nations created to one day confess that there is only one God?”
With that said, I want to thank every one of you for offering your time, money, and heart-driven convictions to serve God and His people; to bring His lost sheep in Japan back home. I pray that the Lord will:
+Use each person in mighty ways with an open mind and a joyous heart.
… because understandably, there are many reasons to fear, worry, and doubt--- the economic crisis and unsettling geographic conditions from the time of 3/11 have created a blanket of anxiety over the people of Japan. BUT. The God we know today is the same God of Moses, who has freed His people from slavery. He has not abandoned us, but has given us the gift of hope. With it, I believe He will free His people from being slaves of that anxiety. He offers you, just as He has offered me, these words of wisdom from Philippians 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”... for the Lord our God is always with us. So, I encourage everyone to keep Him in your heart, so that you may be sensitive to what the Spirit may be telling you (who knows what unexpected things will happen!) When it's too hot or too tiring to drink in enough energy, I pray that patience and gentleness will wash over you. May the Lord be the refreshing drink that gives you the strength of your life!
+And have fun :]
God loves His children. And I hope that everyone is having the time of their lives in Japan cuz I would do anything … er... legal... to try some of their food & play with the kids!! I pray that everyone will have a child-like faith so that God may fill your spirit with His love for the people. May all the work and fun you will be having be fruitful in the eyes of the Lord for it is our aim to please Him. And know that He is pleased with all of you!
Peace be with you all,
Dayna
PS: Don't forget to sleep too!! Take care! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment