2011 Mission team

2011 Mission team
Karen, Randy, Jo Ann, Ev, Al, Matt, Bj, Tim
Nozomi, Katherine, Garrett, Andrew

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Matt: Ga, ga, ga, ga, ga.

Wednesday: Oh, you say you want me to skip right to VBS?  Okay, I will.  It's good you asked because it's almost 1 AM here and I need to sleep.

Today's song was "I'm Keepin My Eyes on Jesus," from 2009.  Immediately following music, it was my turn to give the day's introduction.  Karen brought me about twenty small square gift boxes on a silver tray which I presented to the group.  I said, "Look what I have here!  I have a question.  What color is it?  [No, Yusuke, it's not pink...he likes to distract people.] It's purple--the color of royalty!  Around the world kings and queens wear purple as a symbol of their high status.  Purple is also the color of my college, the University of Washington!  (Woot woot)  Nevertheless, purple is a very important color.  What if...I don't know...I were to...I don't know...let's say, give you (some girl in the front) a box?  And you? (Another person.)  And you?  Did any one of these people do anything to deserve it?  Is there anything special about these specific people?  (Silence in the crowd.)  uh...the answer is no: they did not.  (I passed out the rest of the boxes.)  I gave them something they did not deserve.  It's called grace."

The bible story was from Luke: the Prodigal Son.  Without the felt board the kids were slightly distracted.  I asked them, "Who was the father?  Who were the children?  Why did the younger son leave?  What did the younger son lose from leaving his home and his father?  Why did the younger son return home?  Why did the father celebrate the son's return?  Were both of the sons perfect?  Which son are you?"  Then I shared about how sometimes I feel like I'm both sons--sometimes running away on my own and sometimes judging others for the grace they do not deserve.  I wanted to be honest.

We wanted to know where they were with God, so we asked them if Jesus was their personal lord and savior.  Only one kid in the group could say that he was.  Two girls are a bit young and didn't answer and the eight year old boys said they are not quite there yet...they said they aren't sure.  Tomorrow, I might give an invitation--maybe Friday...

Our lunch was the annual Wednesday pizza party--COSTCO PIZZA YO!  And yes, it tastes better in Japan, of course.  Around fifty people were stuffed in the main room of the community center with Kirkland Signature pizza.  Every year it is such a great opportunity to meet the mothers and families of the VBS kids.  This is essential to our relationship building in Japan.

Yike

Rita

Yuuske

Masanori

Clara

Daiki


Women's small group

Women's small group

After pizza party 
On our way home
A few minutes ago, Randy showed me how to clear my sinuses using this bottle of stuff.  As he squeezed the bottle up my nose, I had to say "ga, ga, ga, ga."









My sinuses are now cleared.  Goodnight.  I'm sorry if that last part kind of freaked you out.

matt

1 comment:

  1. great photos of the kids and team -- though i could have done without the ones at the end! not freaked out but the mechanics of sinus-clearing fall into the category of tmi... (-:

    ReplyDelete